Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Full-Time Professional - V - Part-Time Hobbyist

I recently had the pleasure of working on a resume project with a talented manager, who had sent in his document for review after he had booked his consultation.  His resume looked like every other document I see, perhaps marginally worse than your typical D.I.Y. resume with spelling errors, poor use of language, no real selling features etc.

Imagine my shock when he told me that he had actually paid someone to do it for him!  Luckily, he didn't spend too much money on the first incarnation of his "professional resume".  My client had found a "resume writer" on a well known online free classified advertisement service.  The "resume writer" had a poor command of English, and produced a document that had several spelling errors and was to all intents and purposes virtually useless.

There are other operators that only offer late night or weekend appointments.  This is the calling card of someone who writes resumes "on the side" for some extra pocket money - and it usually shows.

I write resumes and perform interview coaching sessions on a full-time basis.  It's what I do, and it's what I do best!  Every project I work on, I treat as if I were compiling my own document to send off to an employer. Resume writing for me is a serious business - not something to be trivialized by amateurs and part-time pocket money pretenders!

No comments:

Post a Comment