Monday, May 31, 2010

The Screen Out

Having screened over 24,000 resumes in over a decade of recruiting and executive recruiting, I've mastered the art of (very) quickly determining the viability of any given job application.  When I was assessing an application against a specific job specification, I was looking for reasons NOT to bring you in for an interview.  

I'm still surprised by the number of clients who hadn't actually looked at the screening process through this lens.  After reviewing countless applications, with each resume blurring into the next, hiring managers become adept at finding reasons NOT to interview you.

This becomes the starting bloc for all of my resume clients.  Why wouldn't I want to interview you for this role?  At what point would I lose interest in your document and what you had to say about yourself?  How easy would it be for me to consign your resume to the shredder?  

Once we uncover the likely objections to your application, we can start to construct an outline of our strategy to take your project forward.  If we deal with this early, and build our project to address these issues head on, we start to tread the path toward securing you the all-important interview.

The reason so many job applicants fall at the first hurdle, is because they've all made it far too easy for the hiring manager to hit the delete button.

No comments:

Post a Comment